Hasan Mahmud Niaz
Glasgow Caledonian University. United Kingdom
PhD. Irene García-Medina
Glasgow Caledonian University. United Kingdom.
The competition in global marketplaces is progressively increasing due to a large number of local players that form the telecom industry. For this reason, it is essential for companies to establish a strong brand image to maintain its position in the market. Vodafone has been one of the fastest growing companies in the world. Nevertheless, it still holds the number two position in the telecom European market and the sixth, in the international sphere. This aspect encourages us to dig into which factors need to be considered to reach the zenith. We have focused on the international online marketing strategies that are used by telecommunication companies to establish and enhance brand image in the global market. With the example of Vodafone, the research concentrates on the intricacies of the relationship between brand image and online marketing strategies in order to enhance brand image internationally, in the context of the global telecom sector. For this purpose, two detailed online surveys were conducted to gather opinion about the effects of online marketing strategies on brand image. It also aims to find the gaps in the online strategies and improve them in order to boost up the brand image of Vodafone.
- Aggrawal, N., Ahluwalia, A., Khurana, P. and Arora, A. (2017) Brand analysis framework for online marketing: ranking web pages and analyzing popularity of brands on social media. Social Network Analysis and Mining 7(1), 21.
- Amaeshi, K. M., Adi, A. B. C., Ogbechie, C. and Amao, O. O. (2006) Corporate social responsibility in Nigeria: Western mimicry or indigenous influences? Journal of Corporate Citizenship 24, 83-99.
- BrandZ™ Global Top 100 Most Valuable Brands report (2017). Millwardbrown.com, http://www.millwardbrown.com/brandz/top-global-brands/2017, accessed 24 March 2017
- Brew, A. and Lucas, L. (2009) Academic Research and Researchers. New York: McGraw-Hill International.
- Budelmann, K., Kim, Y. and Wozniak, K. (2010) Essential Elements for Brand Identity: 100 Principles for Designing Logos and Building Brands. London: Rockport Publishers.
- Burmann, C., Riley, N. M., Halaszovich, T. and Schade, M. (eds.) (2017) International Identity-Based Brand Management. London: Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden.
- Carpenter, M. and Weikel, K. (2011) The Handbook of Research on Top Management Teams. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Chaffey, D. and Smith, P. R. (2017) Digital Marketing Excellence: Planning, Optimizing and Integrating Online Marketing. London: Taylor & Francis.
- Clark, M., Black, H.G., Judson, K. (2017) Brand community integration and satisfaction with social media sites: a comparative study. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing 11(1), 39-55.
- Copulsky, R. (2011) Brand Resilience: Managing Risk and Recovery in a High-Speed World. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hollensen, S. (2014) Global Marketing. London: Pearson.
- Hudson, S., Huang, L., Roth, M. S., and Madden, T. J. (2016) The influence of social media interactions on consumer–brand relationships: A three-country study of brand perceptions and marketing behaviors. International Journal of Research in Marketing 33 (1), 27- 41.
- Kapferer, J. (2008) The new strategic Brand management: Creating and Sustaining Brand Equity. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.
- Kähr, A., Nyffenegger, B., Krohmer, H. & Hoyer W.D. (2016) When Hostile Consumers Wreak Havoc on Your Brand: The Phenomenon of Consumer Brand Sabotage. Journal of Marketing 80(3), 25-41.
- Kitchen, P. (2002) Managing reputation: global issues and problems. Paper presented at the 7th Annual Conference on Corporate and Marketing Communications; Antwerp, Belgium.
- Kotabe, M. and Helsen, K. (2012) Global Marketing Management. New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons.
- Kotler, P. (2012) Kotler on Marketing. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Newlands, M. (2011) Online Marketing: A User’s Manual. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Niros, M., Pollalis, Y. and Niros, A. (2017) Effective marketing of mobile telecom services through brand personality: Empirical evidence from Greece. MPRA Paper 76477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Remenyi, D. (2012) Field Methods for Academic Research: Interviews, Focus Groups and Questionnaires. London: Academic Conferences Limited.
- Roberts, M. and Zahay, D. (2012) Internet Marketing: Integrating Online and Offline Strategie. Stamford: Cengage Learning.
- Sinkovics, R. and Ghauri, P. (2009) New Challenges to International Marketing. Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing.
- The Communications Market Report: UK (2016) Ofcom.org, https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/95642/ICMR-Full.pdf, accessed 6 June 2017.
- The Mobile Economy Report (2017) GSMA, https://www.gsmaintelligence.com/research/?file=9e927fd6896724e7b26f33f61db5b9d5&download, accessed 6 June 2017.
- Theodore, L. (2011) The Globalization of Markets. Harvard Business Review 61, 92-10.
- UK Telecommunications ICT Market Reports (2017) Internet World stats, http://www.internetworldstats.com/eu/uk2.htm, accessed 13 July 2017.
- UK Telecommunications Market Data Update Q3 2016. (2016) Ofcom, https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-and-data/telecoms-research/data-updates/q3-2016, accessed 6 June 2017.
- UK Telecommunications Market Data Update Q4 2016. (2016). Ofcom, https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-and-data/telecoms-research/data-updates/telecommunications-market-data-update-q4-2016, accessed 6 June 2017.
- Vodafone Annual Report (2016) Vodafone, http://www.vodafone.com/content/annualreport/annual_report16/downloads/vodafone-full-annual-report-2016.pdf, accessed 6 June 2017.
- Wheeler, A. (2012) Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
- Young, C. (2005) Advertising Research Handbook. Seattle: Ideas in Flight.